History and Heritage

The original Tadcaster Grammar School was founded in 1557 by Owen Oglethorpe, Bishop of Carlisle and native of Newton Kyme, in order to educate the sons of the poor of Tadcaster.

Merging with the Dawson’s Girls’ School at the beginning of the 20th century, it built an excellent reputation as a selective Grammar School, until becoming one of the first comprehensive schools in the country after 1945.

Relocating from the town to the present site one and a half miles to the west, in 1960, Tadcaster Grammar School became a fully comprehensive 11-18 school eight years later. The design of the building aimed to blend the imposing facade of Toulston Lodge with modern architectural styles of the time.